Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A new born yoyo

I've had a number of emails about the cuteness of the yoyo's that I use to embellish with and I'm also asked how I make them.
Hope also emailed to say she is having a little trouble with her yoyo making and asked if I could help her, so here is how I make mine.
I use the Clover yoyo maker, these come in all manner of sizes, but I'm using the tiny one (due to the cuteness factor). If you want, you can make them by hand, but for a few dollars this makes them quick, easy and uniform.
I put my piece of fabric in between the two discs, as per instructions.
Then I trim round the discs so that I don't have too much fabric bunched up when I'm 'pulling' the yoyo.
Time for stitching. The above pic shows the top side of the yoyo, start stitching from underneath, and continue round the plastic discs until you get back to the start.
This is the underneath of the yoyo. I've stitched right round and am now back at the beginning.
Unclip the plastic discs and slip the fabric off.
Now, here comes the bit where you witness a baby yoyo being born! Slowly pull the cotton and as you tighten the yoyo gathers.
Until it looks ... sort of ... well ... almost like a small bag. Now, a word of warning at this point: if you are a sensitive soul, please turn away now, we're going to be practicing a wee bit of tough love.
I'm a bit ruthless at this point and I squeeze the living daylight out of the wee thing.
And then I have to just slip a couple of stitches to hold it in place.... cut the thread.
And there you have it, a new born 3/4 of an inch yoyo. Isn't it just gorgeous!

There you go Hope, I'm sure this will help. If you haven't made yoyo's before, I hope this inspires you to have a go at making them.

Back soon,
Carole




7 comments:

Hope Amen said...

Thanks so much Carole...you make the cutest yo-yo's! Now I will have another go.

Hugs,
Hope

Margaret said...

We all need one of these! Mx

Unknown said...

Wow - that's so dinky and you make it look so easy - never seen this gadget before - so will be on the look out.

Annette said...

That is so cute, not only the yoyo but your technique.. love it..
hugs

Unknown said...

I love these little yo-yos. Thanks for sharing the directions for making them.

Linda Jo said...

That is amazing! I never saw a yo-yo maker!!! I think Margaret is right!!!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Carole. So tiny! I'm not much of a yo-yo fan, but then I saw your previous post and how you use them. Very pretty. I'll have to re-think this!
best, nadia