Saturday, October 16, 2010


I have loads of comments and questions about our wee lamb!
So, I'll try and answer some of them here for you.
I had no idea as to why he wasn't feeding from his mum, and I couldn't pen them
so that I could check her udder, so
rather than let him die I decided to bottle feed him.
He is now quite a strong wee fella.
Today with the help of our "faming lady" and her dog
we rounded them all up and checked them all. 
One of the sheep looked like she would lamb very soon, another looked 
as though she would lamb in the next few days.

After they had all been checked, we held the mother 
and suckled the wee lamb to her.
She had plenty of milk. We left them by themselves for a few hours, 
and I went out now and again to help and remind him where the milk came from lol,
so he could get used to feeding from his mum.

Then, much excitement, tonight after watching him feed all by himself,
we let them back into the big paddock.
He has been feeding lovely!!

It's such a relief. I have been feeding him 3 times a day, and although it's VERY cute 
to have cuddles etc... the novelty soon wears off! LOL

THEN.....

tonight, one of the other sheep had not one, but 2 little shaky white lambs!
It was so exciting to see them born and to watch them trying to feed from their mum, and
she was being a very tentative mother.
They both look healthy and strong, and I'll take photos for you tomorrow. 


In the mean time, I'm going to have to come up with some names..

any ideas??

11 comments:

By Hoki Quilts said...

I'm not too sure about names, but what I am sure about is the cold front that has hit us and is about to work it's way up the country, brrrr. Hope you got some shelter for the woolly families.
How's the job going?
hugs
Miche'le

Heloise said...

The lambs are lovely. I have always loved sheep. I had my tonsils out when I was 5 and my parents put a few orphan ones into a special pen for me to look after.
As to names depends if you are going to eat them and how you feel about that.

Jen xo said...

im so glad he is feeding ok Carole. ive hand reared pups before and they were lots of work, so i bet thats a relief.
ive noticed you seem to be getting our weather about a week later so at the moment weve had a bit of a cold snap and loads more rain :((

lyle baxter said...

back when my kids were small we had a flock that started with a couple and grew and grew. we loved them all. we had lambs in the oven to warm them , lambs in big boxes to feed them and plenty in the field and barn. we decided early on to name them after relatives and close friends. so we had Anna, catherine etc. my favorite was sam the ram , a southdown, who was very shortlegged. his favorite trick was to charge up behind you and because he was short he could take you out just below the knees and down you went. the relatives etc were delighted to have someone named for them and the kids knew who everybody was!

Leone said...

Thank you for the movies and the updates on the lambs,as a city dweller who would much raher be a country dweller it warms my heart. I'm so happy to hear your little black baby is now feeding well and growing strong, I felt so sorry for him. Thanks again!!

Rhonda said...

Oh, this is just so exciting. Two new lambs, I would love to see them. I'd name them something sweet, something that describes their sweet face.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I would call this little fellow 'Patch' because of his sweet face (how original is THAT?!!). Can't wait to see the new additions too.

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

Awww, yay mom and baby! So glad they are now "connected". :-)

~*~Patty S said...

howse about
BARCLAY ... a little more masculine than FLOWER LOL

Happy Lambie weekend to all!
oxo

Linda Jo said...

Can't wait to see the twins! If we name them, are you still going to eat them?

Charlotte Scott said...

Our lamb is called Minty! Although the kids wanted to call him Woolly (full points for imagination!). Sage and Rosemary, Lambchop and Cutlet....okay, so all food orientated - you can tell what the fate of our lamb is going to be!