Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What to do on a wet morning in New Plymouth?


A visit to the Art Gallery, the Govett-Brewster. Perfect.
Traci and I decided to jump in the car and check out the exhibitions.

Excuse the quality of the photos, I am using my wee pocket camera, and was told although I could take photos, could I refrain from using the flash please.

OK.




I must say I was pleasantly surprised to find some very interesting items at the gallery.
The first item of interest was this gigantic scarf.
It was called the Govett-Brewster Community Scarf and it was being knitted from both ends.
The gallery were inviting anyone to sit and knit, to add as many rows as they'd like. An assortment of wool and needles were available.
During August, it would be finished and auctioned off to raise money for a charity.
I did a few rows on one end and Traci added some to the other!



Then we discovered this exhibition. It is called Weapons, by Chinese artist Yin Xiuzhen.
I couldn't find much info on the installation,
but each of these knitted looking spears had a sharp knife on the end of it!

Pretty, but deadly :))






Then there was this floor-matish-looking thing, it was made from 1000 scarves, loads of colours, loads of various textiles and textures. Totally fabulous!
I would have loved to curl up on it, the spongy colours and textures soaking up one's body!

Hope you can read this info re the scarf mat.






Then we found some cities in suitcases by the same artist!
Amazingly creative work.

Where do they get their ideas from?




This one below is Melbourne :))





Then it was time for some light refreshments :))




And then it was home again where Traci was
carrying out a little scarf creating of her own!



Did you see anything that inspired you last weekend?

Carole :)

13 comments:

By Hoki Quilts said...

Wow, what a cool exhibition and an amazing idea with the scarf knitting. I wonder how many people have contributed to it's stitches so far.
thanks for sharing, Miche'le
p.s. the photo's are fine - really

ShabbyChicShaz said...

What a great idea that scarf is, you go to an exhibition and you become part of it as you sit and knit and then your work stays on. Brilliant. Loved the other exhibits as well particularly the mat of scarfs. Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

That looks really wonderful. I have just spent time with our 86 year old aunt who has broken her neck--- she is the star of my latest post and is truly inspiring.
Kindset Regards Linda

~*~Patty S said...

what a brilliant exhibition ... the interactive part is very cool too

glad you and Traci got away for a good time!
oxo

Linda Jo said...

Amazing art! I would've been dying to knit on that scarf...but I don't know how. Does everyone in New Zealand knit? How wonderful the two of you got to do that!

Traci said...

Thanks again for coming up, was a great weekend!

Love you xxx Traci

Shane Pollard said...

Amazing art exhibition, the beautiful rug made of 1000 scarves representing the one child family.
Yin Xiuzhen is indeed a visionary - I hope he comes to Auckland too as I would love to see it.

Glad you had some girl time with Traci - fun!
Shane

Dogwood said...

Rain, rain and more rain. I love that picture of the rain taken from inside. Creative. It looks like a really interesting exhibit to me. The white scarf/blanket is beautiful!

Dogwood

Margaret said...

I love the community scarf! Did they ahave a book to sign into as well, would be cool to see where everyone came from!

Joanie Hoffman said...

Great photos, but you forgot to show the "light refreshments"! It looks like you had a wonderful rainy day.

Bunty said...

What a great way to spend a wet day! I love the scarf installation - very inspirational.

Coincidentally on the knitting front - I am in the process of trying to clear more space in my craft room and came across a bag of rags which I started knitting a couple of years ago! I think at the time I had seen some art somewhere which had recycled old clothes and fabric and I had started to knit squares to be joined together. I have no idea what it will be eventually but of course once I saw it, I just had to start knitting again! Another project to finish!

Barbara

Anonymous said...

What an amazing afternoon we all had at the gallery! I agree, that circle of scarves was just made for sitting on!

Anonymous said...

wow, the floor thing-y is marvelous. Makes me think of droog in the netherlands with their rag chairs...xox corrine