Sunday, May 10, 2009

a mother's day gift!


This was given to me this morning from my daughter, a special gift for mother's day...
it looked very old, it got my immediate attention!






An old 1930's Imperial Good Companion Typewriter!
I was so excited I could barely contain myself! The keys look so old, and it looks so tidy, apart from some dust. I have played with it for ages, I can't get the platten to move across as you type, maybe I've forgotten to do something?
This took me back to typing classes so many years ago...
















I'm dying to play with my 'good companion', and I just know that we're going to get along just dandy!
Thanks Traci! You could not have picked a nicer gift! x


Hope all you mums out there, (including mine, who is off enjoying a bus trip to Rotorua today) are having a lovely day!

Carole :)

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a trip down memory lane! I learnt to type on something not much more modern than yours.

Joy said...

Gosh isn't it gorgeous!!! I can remember my Dad typing on something similar when I was a kid.
Isn't there a little release switch under the carriage that let's it move freely?? I remember my portable had one, maybe that's the problem (??).
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Margaret said...

ahhh and double ahhh, how fab is this???? great pics!! Some of these old dears have a lock on them to stop the carraige moving in the case, mine did but owing to my age I can't for the life of me remember how I unlocked it!! I think I looked it up online! good luck

Unknown said...

OMG! Your daughter is a DOLL! Drool, drool, drool! Patty needs to come look too!

I'm with Joy and Margaret-- there's a lever for locking the carriage for travel. Just keep pulling and playing with tabs adn levers till something works. There's also one for reversing the ribbon(you might find that in the process too). This typewriter is a BEAUTY! The keys are so clean. Of course, your phtos are stunning. B & W is the only way to go with a type writer this old.

Linda Jo said...

Ohhhhhhhhh this is sooooo gorgeous! And what great pictures! You have a great daughter to find this for you.

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

what a perfect gift, that certainly IS a beaut! I can almost hear you pecking away on it!
Nathalie I am impressed with your typewriter savy ;)
your black and white pics are excellent too Carole, you and your photo shop skills!

Unknown said...

so cool! I think I learned to type on one just like it!

Julz said...

What an awesome mothers day gift - your daughter did very well to chose such a wonderful gift. Hugs Jx