Wednesday, November 5, 2008

WOW! 5000 hits! I'll treat you all to lamingtons!

I've just reached the 5000 mark, hard to believe, considering I thought it would take a year or more to achieve this milestone!
So, to celebrate I have decided to empower you all!
I want you to all go out there and make yourselves some lamingtons! Experience a delight from outta this world!! LOL

First off you need to start with a flat square or rectangle of sponge cake. If you want to have a go making one yourself here is a recipe. I cheat this part and I buy pre-made squares of sponge, (what we call triffle sponges here in New Zealand), and store them in my freezer, so I have them on hand all the time!

Now, your going where no man has been before! Inside my freezer! For those of you overseas, here are my triffle sponges, and for those of you eagle eyes out there you will notice they are sitting right on top of 2 litres of ice cream!

Sponge:
Put into a basin 1 cup of flour
3/4 cup sugar then break in 3 eggs, add 3 tablespoons of melted butter and 2 tablespoons milk.
Beat for 3 minutes, then gently stir in 2 teaspoons of baking powder. Pour into your baking tin. Bake at 375F for 15 to 20 mins.
Leave to cool.

To make lamingtons:
I carefully cut the sponge into squares. I make up a packet of jelly, using only a small cup of water, stir until all crystals are dissolved.
Then I take each square, lightly dip it in the jelly, and I do this step quickly so that the sponge doesn't soak up too much liquid, then I cover the sponge in coconut. Then I leave them to sit in the fridge for a short while and then slice each one across the top and add cream! You can use any flavour jelly, but I always like to use a berry flavoured one.

Hope you can have a go at these, and if you have any questions I will try and help you with them!
Carole ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jelly is perhaps what we in the US call Jello?

carole brungar said...

Hi Susaw, sorry I don't have an email addy for you. I think they are the one and same! Enjoy! Carole

TracyB said...

5,000 hits, Congrats!!!! The cake sounds absolutely YUMMY!!

I think I may have had it with some jelly in the middle at one time?

My grandma used to make this, punch holes down thru the top of the baked cake and drizzle jello (not set up yet)over the top and it would soak down thru the holes, YUM!!

Margaret said...

Congratulations!! I do rather hope that's not a tub of Hokey Pokey...

NEEDLEWINGS said...

My goodness, I have gotten behind on your blog. Wow girl you have been busy indeed and then to call me to this scruptious dessert? I can feel my pants getting tight already! lol

TracyB said...

Hi Carole, I've given you a blog award that you can view on my site!!

Fannie said...

Congrats, Carole! Time sure flies. Those desserts look yummy. Thanks for sharing!