Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Another project finished and another started!

Here is the finished arch for a swap. This arch will be going to Meg. I'm not sure if you can read the words, but they say, "She ran thru the garden, searching". I was having another play with transfers. The lady is a photocopy of a picture I found in a magazine. She has been stuck onto pink card and then onto black card. The green background is a piece of silk paper I made. This is quite a new and different style for me, but I like how it came together. I have only just started to use words in my work as well, which I'm finding adds another layer to the overall work.
I have decided to make an altered book. I have wanted to make one for years, then it got forgotten about - until now! I have had some fantastic advice, especially from Nona, thank you so much! The first step is finding a suitable book. Here is my chosen subject. I have some ideas for the cover, I will come back to that later. I think the book will be a work in progress, and I will work on a page every now and again when I have time. I've started the first 2 pages.

I don't think they are finished yet, but I will come back to them. I think I still need to layer more. I found these pages hard in the way that I'm not free enough in the way I lay down paint. I watched some u-tube videos of artists making their books and they seem to really go for it, where as I think I put too much thought into it and try and be "careful" about what I'm doing. I think I really need to loosen up!
Anyway I love the colours, and I think I'm off to a good start? Notice I'm into those words again!

Loosen up, loosen up, loosen up... must reinforce this.......

Hope you are all having a great week, I'm off to sit, oops, I mean, loosen up, in front of the fire. It's extremely cold here tonight!

Carole

5 comments:

Aileen said...

Loosen up...I need to put this in huge letters above my work table! I love the arch. An altered book is a great way to try lots of different things. I think I will start one. Thanks for the inspiration!

Fannie said...

Hi, Carole. I like your new work with the addition of words. Keep growing. I love watching you evolve. ;-D

Megan Coyle said...

Hi, I stumbled upon your blog and I have to say I really enjoyed looking at your work. I have a weakness for mixed media and collage type work :)

Jan said...

WOW Carole, I love the clever way in which you're diversifying.
love Jan

Nona said...

Hi Carole,
Thanks for the mention :-)
I think you're too hard on yourself. It takes TIME to loosen, or to tighten! Cut yourself a break while you try different ideas and techniques. Now is the time for Play! Try things and learn from them; then put them to use in a "serious" altered book!
Cheers
Nona